Bra Boys: Blood is Thicker than Water
|Bra Boys: Blood is Thicker than Water|
|Directed by||Sunny Abberton, Macario De Souza|
|Produced by||Russell Crowe|
|Written by||Sunny Abberton, Stuart Beattie|
|Starring||Koby Abberton, Sunny Abberton, Jai Abberton|
|Narrated by||Russell Crowe|
|Distributed by||Hopscotch Productions, Berkela Films|
|Running time||90 minutes|
Bra Boys: Blood is Thicker than Water is a 2007 Australian documentary film about a surf gang on Sydney's Maroubra beach released in March 2007. The film details a story of the Bra Boys from the viewpoint of the gang members, particularly the Abbertons. Sunny Abberton wrote and co-directed the film with Macario De Souza. Actor Russell Crowe was producer and provided narration. The film's official cast included 49 well known surfers from Bra Boys members Evan Faulks and Richie 'Vas' Vaculik to ten-time world champion Kelly Slater. Other participating prominent surfers include Mark Occhilupo, Bruce Irons, and Laird Hamilton.
Australian reviewer Margaret Pomeranz gave the movie an overall positive review, while her At the Movies co-host David Stratton criticised it as a "not a very well made film ... basically not much more than a home movie" and questioned how objective a documentary can be when it is directed by its subject.
The documentary became Australia's highest-grossing non-IMAX documentary film and won the Best Documentary at the 2008 Movie EXTRA Filmink Awards. The movie saw a limited release in the United States that began on 11 April 2008, in 23 select locations in Southern California, New York and Hawaii. The film was distributed in Australia by Hopscotch Films and internationally by boutique distributor, Berkela Films. The film was released on DVD on 16 August 2007 with extras including the documentary, The Making of Bra Boys, extended surfing footage, coverage of the film's premiere, history of Australian surf culture, a fitness program presented by one of the Bra Boys, and music videos.
- Russell Crowe as Narrator
- Kelly Slater
- Cheyne Horan
- Jack Kingsley
- Sean Doherty
- Koby Abberton
- Sunny Abberton
- Jai Abberton
- Wayne Cleveland
- Mark Mathews
- Wayne Bartholomew
- Nick Carroll
- Reni Maitua
- John Sutton
- Pomeranz, Margaret; Stratton, David (14 March 2007). "[Bra Boys]". At the Movies (Australia). Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- "Bra Boys breaks box office record". ABC News (Australia). 27 March 2007.
- "'Bra Boys:' Best Documentary at Movie EXTRA Awards". Transworld Skateboarding (United States). 17 March 2008. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- "Bra Boys: Blood is Thicker than Water". Berkela Films. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- Idato, Michael (27 August 2007). "Bra Boys - DVD review". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 6 February 2011.